©Colette Lewis 2013--
The Northwestern Wildcats advanced to the quarterfinals at the ITA Women's Team Indoor Friday, ousting No. 7 seed Alabama 4-1.
Other than the photograph of Linda Abu Mushrefova clinching the match at Court 5, I can't add much to the coverage, because I was watching the Duke-Baylor match on the Stadium Courts while Alabama and Northwestern were playing on the back courts. When Duke claimed their 4-1 win over the Bears, four of the Northwestern-Alabama matches were in the third set, and after the Wildcats had taken the doubles point, and a straight set win at No. 3, they were in good shape to close it out, with Mushrefova finishing the 3 1/2-hour match. Northwestern is ranked 14th, while Alabama is No. 9, so it was hardly a colossal upset, given the Wildcats history on indoor courts in general and at the Team Indoor in particular. Northwestern won the Team Indoor title in 2009 and 2010.
Northwestern 4, Alabama 1
1. #12 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) 4-6, 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
2. #13 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Veronica Corning (NU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. #59 Maya Jansen (UA) 6-4, 6-2
4. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Emily Zabor (UA) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. #105 Natalia Maynetto (UA) vs. Nida Hamilton (NU) 7-5, 6-5, unfinished
1. #2 Alexa Guarachi/Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. #42 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) 8-1
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Antonia Foehse/Maya Jansen (UA) 8-2
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Yasmeen Ebada/Emily Zabor (UA) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,2,4,5)