©Colette Lewis 2012--
The first shutout of the first round of the ITA Women's Team Indoor didn't occur until the sixth match, with the No. 6 seeded North Carolina Tar Heels blanking Texas A&M 4-0 in a match delayed until 5 p.m. due to the length of the first two matches on the back courts.
The doubles point came down to a tiebreaker, with Lauren McHale and Tessa Lyons of North Carolina taking it over the Deheza twins at No. 3, after the Aggies had taken the match on court 1 and the Tar Heels has won on court 2.
The bottom half of the Tar Heels order got the job done in singles, with Tessa Lyons defeating Anna Mamalat 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6, Lauren McHale downing Maria Deheza at No. 4 and Caroline Price clinching at line 5 over Stefania Hristov 6-2, 6-4. Only one match was into a third set when Price completed the North Carolina victory.
The Tar Heels will meet No. 3 seed USC Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
North Carolina 4, Texas A&M 0
1. #11 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) vs. #3 C. Sanchez-Quintanar (TAMU) 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
2. #21 Whitney Kay (NC) vs. #45 Cristina Stancu (TAMU) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
3. #28 Zoe De Bruycker (NC) vs. Nazari Urbina (TAMU) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0, unfinished
4. #111 Lauren McHale (NC) def. #82 Maria Ines Deheza (TAMU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Caroline Price (NC) def. Stefania Hristov (TAMU) 6-2, 6-4
6. #65 Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Anna Mamalat (TAMU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #7 Cristina Stancu/Stefania Hristov (TAMU) def. #8 Ashley Dai/Whitney Kay (NC) 8-5
2. Gina Suarez-Malaguti/Zoe De Bruycker (NC) def. C. Sanchez-Quintanar/Anna Mamalat (TAMU) 8-5
3. #51 Lauren McHale/Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Maria Ines Deheza/Maria Paula Deheza (TAMU) 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,5)