©Colette Lewis 2013--
The doubles point came down to a tiebreaker and four of the six singles matches went three sets, but No. 8 seed Miami earned its place in the quarterfinals with a 4-2 win over Nebraska Friday afternoon.
Nebraska claimed the doubles point when Mary Weatherhold and Patricia Veresova took the tiebreaker over Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner 7 points to 5, after Miami had won at 3 and Nebraska at 2.
Miami pulled even in the singles after freshman Clementina Riobueno's speedy 6-1, 6-1 victory over Isabella Zgierska at line 6. Nebraska took the lead with Mary Weatherholt's 6-2, 7-6 win over Monique Albuquerque, playing in her first match for the Hurricanes.
That was the last point Nebraska would earn, as Melissa Bolivar and Stephanie Wagner posted three-set wins at 4 and 5. Up 3-2, Miami got the win when freshman Kelsey Laurente closed out Stefanie Wienstein 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 on court 3.
Miami will meet top seed UCLA at noon on Saturday.
Miami 4, Nebraska 2
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Monique Albuquerque (UM) 6-2, 7-6
2. #57 Lina Lileikite (UM) vs. Patricia Veresova (NEB) 7-6, 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
3. #51 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Janine Weinreich (NEB) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. #92 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
6. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 6-1, 6-1
1. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Lina Lileikite/Stephanie Wagner (UM) 8-7(5)
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) 8-6
3. Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,4,5,3)