©Colette Lewis 2013--
Second seed and 2012 finalist Duke had a much easier time in their first round match in 2013 than they did last year, cruising past Baylor 4-1 Friday morning at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
Last year, Duke, the top seed, needed a three-set win from Annie Mulholland at No. 6 singles to overcome Ole Miss 4-3 in the first round, but there was no such drama this year.
Duke won the doubles point with two 8-4 victoires in doubles, at the No. 2 and No. 1 positions. Marianne Jodoin and Mulholland defeated Alex Leatu and Victoria Kisialeva of Baylor 8-4 at No. 2, while Duke's Mary Clayton and Ester Goldfeld completed an impressive comeback at No. 1, coming from 4-1 down to take the last seven games of the match.
Duke, playing without Rachel Kahan, out with an injury, were comfortable throughout the singles, with Ester Goldfeld taking a quick 6-1, 6-1 win over Baylor's Jordaan Sanford at No. 3. Twenty minutes later, Mary Clayton gave Duke its third point with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Megan Horter, leaving the drama as to whether Baylor could claim a point. After a struggle at the end of the second set, Baylor's Ema Burgic did close out Hanna Mar at No. 1 to make the score 3-1, but by then Jodoin was serving for the match against Leatu at No. 6. The Fresno State transfer served out a 6-4, 6-3 win, clinching the victory for the Blue Devils.
Duke 4, Baylor 1
1. #16 Emma Burgic (BU) def. #10 Hanna Mar (DUKE) 6-1, 6-4
2. #53 Mary Clayton (DUKE) def. Megan Horter (BU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #40 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Jordaan Sanford (BU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) vs. Victoria Kisialeva (BU) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
5. Monica Turewicz (DUKE) vs. Kiah Generette (BU) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
6. #63 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. Alex Leatu (BU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Mary Clayton/Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Emma Burgic/Kiah Generette (BU) 8-4
2. Marianne Jodoin/Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Alex Leatu/Victoria Kisialeva (BU) 8-4
3. Monica Turewicz/Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. Megan Horter/Jordaan Sanford (BU) 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,2,1,6)