Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kells Chooses Southern Cal; Weinhold Chooses Pro Route


Andrew Kells, designated as a Five Star Recruit by The Tennis Recruiting Network, has verbally committed to the University of Southern California.

Kells, a senior, sent me an email yesterday detailing his decision. He was considering Stanford, Cal, Michigan, Notre Dame and North Carolina, all of which met his requirement for an academically challenging school, but USC won out for a number of reasons.

"Academics was really important for me so I was really only looking at top 30 caliber schools," Kells said. "The other major factor was sports, which I am an absolute fanatic about. I definitely wanted somewhere in a major conference likethe Pac Ten, Big Ten, or ACC."

Kells took an unofficial visit to USC last November, and it immediately went to the top of his list. Describing himself as a "total California kid," he is happy to be only a six hour drive or one hour plane trip from his home in the Bay Area, and to be joining his friend Dan Gliner of San Francisco, who is beginning his freshman year as a Trojan.

"Coach (Peter) Smith and Coach (Brett) Masi showed interest in me from the beginning. I feel that I am going to develop a really close relationship with both and that they can take my game to its highest level in college."

Kells is planning on joining the Trojans next fall, with an eye on both his tennis and on his classes as a business major. In the meantime, he will complete his studies at Redwood High School, and hopes to play the remaining USTA National events in the next 11 months.

"I cannot wait to become part of the Trojan tennis fraternity. I am taking my official visit in two weeks and cannot wait to get to know all the other guys. I am really looking forward to having the honor of being a USC athlete."

---------
A few days ago, oldschool left a comment with a link to an Austin American-Statesman article about Ashley Weinhold, which gives the details about her decision to turn pro (free subscription required.) Links pasted into comments don't work, unfortunately, but I do appreciate the tips and will always try to get them functional if I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colette, I guess I am just treating this as a general recruiting thread. Did you ever see Sanam Singh at any of the ITF tourneys or junior Grand Slams? He is playing for UVa this year, and I am trying to get his sense of where he would rank among the top American freshmen.

Colette Lewis said...

I've seen Singh play twice that I remember, and I'm sure neither was one of his best days. Last year as the No. 6 seed at the US Open Juniors, he lost to Yoann Re of Canada 6-1, 6-1 in the first round. Re is a sophomore at Virginia Tech. In Australia in 2006, I saw some of his third round match against Austen Childs of New Zealand, which he lost in three sets. Childs signed an NLI with Louisville in July.

Singh was ranked as high as No. 4 in world in juniors last year, so I would expect that if he has continued to develop in the past 12 months, he'll play in the Virginia lineup.

I see he's entered in the All-American qualifying, but UVa hasn't yet posted their roster or announced his enrollment.

Anonymous said...

Anyone have any info on Alex Lacroix who is entered in the All-American qualifying tournament for Florida? He is not listed on their roster.

Anonymous said...

Kells, solid recruit for USC. Smart kid and a good player too! With great coaching under Smith and Masi he'll fit right in.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know why Kellen Damico is not listed anywhere in the selections for the ITA tournament in Tulsa?