©Colette Lewis 2012--
The sixth-seeded University of Georgia women had no difficulty with No. 11 seed Texas, breezing through the Longhorns 4-0 in two and a half hours, not counting the hour rain delay that sent the third round match indoors.
Georgia took the doubles point and six first sets, and the momentum didn't change with the heavy showers that struck the Dan Magill Tennis Center just after 6 p.m. The decision to move the match indoors, to the University of Georgia's four courts, was made quickly, no doubt due to the 7 p.m. matches still to begin.
With Georgia leading 1-0, courts 1, 2, 3, and 4 resumed play indoors, and it was quickly 2-0 when Nadja Gilchrist beat Krista Damico at 2. Lauren Herring made it 3-0 with a victory over Noel Scott at 4, and by that time, Chelsey Gullickson was serving for the match at No. 1, against Aeriel Ellis. Gullickson was broken, but at the far end of the Lindsey Hopkins indoor courts, Maho Kowase led Longhorn Lina Padegimaite 5-1 in the second set, and finished efficiently for a
7-5, 6-1 win.
Georgia had beaten Texas 4-2 at the ITA Team Indoor in February, but that match was much closer than today's. Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace was extremely happy with his team's performance in the rematch.
"It was very encouraging," Wallace said. "I told our players after the match that from start to finish, this might have been our best match of the year. What a great time to be playing and peaking. I was thrilled with the effort that they game and the way they all played. It’s very exciting for us to move on. We’ll be ready come Saturday.”
Who they will be ready for is still unknown, with the Duke and Virginia third round match barely into the first sets of singles when the rain began. Virginia took the doubles point.
#6 GEORGIA (24-4) def. #11 TEXAS (19-8), 4-0 - Henry Feild Stadium
Head Coaches: Jeff Wallace (GEORGIA) and Patty Fendick-McCain (TEXAS)
1. #46 Kate Fuller/Nadja Gilchrist (GEORGIA) def. #44 Lina Padegimaite/Noel Scott (TEXAS), 8-3
2. Chelsey Gullickson/Lauren Herring (GEORGIA) def. Krista Damico/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (TEXAS), 8-4
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (GEORGIA) vs. Elizabeth Begley/Aeriel Ellis (TEXAS), 6-3, unfinished
1. #7 Chelsey Gullickson (GEORGIA) vs. #40 Aeriel Ellis (TEXAS), 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
2. Nadja Gilchrist (GEORGIA) def. #68 Krista Damico (TEXAS), 6-4, 6-2
3. #58 Maho Kowase (GEORGIA) def. Lina Padegimaite (TEXAS), 7-5, 6-1
4. #70 Lauren Herring (GEORGIA) def. Noel Scott (TEXAS), 6-3, 6-3
5. #96 Kate Fuller (GEORGIA) vs. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (TEXAS), 6-1, 4-5, unfinished
6. Lilly Kimbell (GEORGIA) vs. Elizabeth Begley (TEXAS), 6-4, 1-4, unfinished
Order of Finish