©Colette Lewis 2012--
UCLA and Cal have played many times in their longstanding conference rivalry, including the 2008 NCAA Division I team final, which the Bruins won. On Saturday, they will meet much earlier, in the quarterfinals, after Cal advanced with a 4-0 victory over Georgia Tech.
The Bears, who were cheered on by the Cal men's team on the newly spruced up McWhorter courts, won the doubles point and got victories from Zsofi Susanyi at 2, Anett Schutting at 3 and 2012 NCAA champion Jana Juricova at 1 to sweep the Yellow Jackets.
"At 1 and 2 we've been playing pretty well and they've had good seasons," said Cal head coach Amanda Augustus. "I think Jana is coming into form at the right time after we had her out with an injury for a little while. I think the doubles was key, and I think the girls did a good job of maintaining their level once they came out to singles. I think it's really important when you're playing to 4 that you don't try to look at the scoreboard too much, and Jana did a really good job of that, serving out the last game, with an ace on match point."
Although Cal could have faced No. 8 seed Alabama in Thursday's third round, Georgia Tech had upset the Crimson Tide in the regional final, setting up a very tough quarterfinal.
UCLA and Cal have split 4-3 decisions, both winning at home, and Augustus is expecting nothing less in Saturday's quarterfinal.
"When we played them down there we didn't have Jana, because she was out, and then when we played them at home we did," said Augustus, a two-time NCAA doubles champion when she played for Cal. "I'm expecting a 4-3 showdown. I don't know which court it's going to come down to, but they're tough. I think we both prepare our teams to be ready for this time of year, so I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be a great match, with great tennis."
#9 CALIFORNIA (20-6) def. #17-32 GEORGIA TECH (16-12), 4-0 - McWhorter Courts
Head Coaches: Amanda Augustus (CALIFORNIA) and Bryan Shelton (GEORGIA TECH)
1. #15 Jana Juricova/Zsofi Susanyi (CALIFORNIA) def. #23 Alex Anghelescu/Jillian O’Neill (GEORGIA TECH), 8-3
2. #5 Annie Goransson/Anett Schutting (CALIFORNIA) def. Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GEORGIA TECH), 8-4
3. Caroline Lilley/Muriel Wacker (GEORGIA TECH) def. Alice Duranteau/Cecilia Estlander (CALIFORNIA), 8-3
1. #8 Jana Juricova (CALIFORNIA) def. #11 Jillian O’Neill (GEORGIA TECH), 6-2, 6-2
2. #13 Zsofi Susanyi (CALIFORNIA) def. Caroline Lilley (GEORGIA TECH), 6-3, 6-0
3. #30 Anett Schutting (CALIFORNIA) vs. Elizabeth Kilborn (GEORGIA TECH), 6-4, 6-1
4. #48 Tayler Davis (CALIFORNIA) vs. Alex Anghelescu (GEORGIA TECH), 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
5. #67 Annie Goransson (CALIFORNIA) vs. Lynn Blau (GEORGIA TECH), 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
6. Alice Duranteau (CALIFORNIA) vs. Christina Ngo (GEORGIA TECH), 5-7, 2-3, unfinished
Order of Finish