Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Monday, December 27, 2010

My Interview with Erica Perkins of the USTA; U.S. Collegians Fall in Final of Master'U Event in France

During the Dunlop Orange Bowl, I had an opportunity to sit down with Erica Perkins of the USTA to discuss her role in the organization. Perkins is the Senior Manager of Junior and Collegiate Competition, with most of her efforts focused on college tennis. I've gotten to know her during the two-plus years she has been at the USTA, and have been in regular contact with her both at tournaments and via her social media outreaches. I've admired her passion for tennis and her vast knowledge of the collegiate environment, but I was a bit fuzzy on her background and what exactly the job description required of her. So I thought a Q and A would enlighten not only me, but others, whether in junior or college tennis, who interact with her regularly. My interview with Perkins appears today at the Tennis Recruiting Network.

I was unable to give the Master'U BNP Paribas international collegiate competition in France the coverage I would have liked, because I was reporting from the Dunlop Orange Bowl at the time, but I do want to acknowledge another fine performance from the American collegians. The U.S. team, which consisted of Austin Krajicek, Reid Carleton, Sekou Bangoura Jr., Allie Will, Maria Sanchez and Kristy Frilling, finished second to the host country France in the competition, held Dec. 9-12. France defeated the U.S., on indoor red clay, 5-1, after the U.S. team, the defending champions, had beaten Ireland and Germany to reach the championship match. The always entertaining Greg Patton, head men's coach at Boise State, and Mark Guilbeau, the head women's coach at Virginia, blogged from the competition. The final blog can be found here, and there are six others available at usta.com.

0 comments: