Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Spencer Recruiting Profile; More on Collegiate Tennis Going Global

My weekly entry for The Tennis Recruiting Network is this profile of Wil Spencer. Although I've known Spencer for several years, the conversation I had with him in Carson specifically about college choices served as an opportunity to learn some things about him I didn't know.

The Austin American-Statesman (registration required) has an interesting article today about the ethnic makeup of the four teams gathered in Austin for the men's NCAA regional the University of Texas is hosting. It's really a microcosm of the current state of D-I men's tennis. All U.S. (Navy), predominantly U.S. (Boise State), a mix (UT) and all foreign (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi). It's fascinating to hear each of the four coaches talk about the reasons for his team's makeup. Steve Moore, at A&M-CC, says this about his school's facility:

"We probably have the worst facility in Division I," he said. "It would be a bad intramural facility. We've got six courts, one in shambles. Two of the nets are torn down. Our fence is rusted through and balls can roll under it, and you've got to walk out into a field and get it."
You need to be a pretty good coach to overcome that.

If, like me, you are going to be following the first round of the NCAA D-I regionals tomorrow, the Georgiadogs.com site has links to all 32 locations here.

0 comments: