Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Friday, September 16, 2005

Golf vs. Tennis - How one country club sport defeated the other:: Slate

Golf vs. Tennis - How one country club sport defeated the other. By Field Maloney~~~
I've mentioned lisen and her Pro Tennis Fan blog before and I thank her for directing me to this piece, which explains why golf is more popular than tennis. And I'll preface my remarks by saying that I'm a golfer myself, and come from a long line of them. I believe that it's a great game, and I do not begrudge its surge in popularity the past decade. There are a whole host of reasons for its ascendancy, but I'll reduce it to three:


  • 1. Tiger Woods
  • 2. It Can Be Played While Drinking Beer
  • 3. Very Little Physical Exertion Is Required By Its Recreational Players

  • Tennis does not feature any of the above. And if it is, as Field Maloney says (why does that name cry pseudonym?) a sport that's suffering because it's now more inclusive than it used to be, that its aura of exclusivity is gone, well, that's just fine with me.

    0 comments: