Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Michigan State's Ozan Baris Assists Fritz in Run to US Open Men's Final

Prior to Saturday's junior finals, I went out to courts 13, 14, 15 and 16 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center after USTA National Coach Troy Hahn had informed me a few days prior that there was an event scheduled for a dozen American juniors, which Mitch Hassenbein had organized in honor of his son Drew. The Hassenbeins have established the Drew Hassenbein Foundation to support tennis players in the New York area, as a way to continue the legacy of their son, who was killed in a tragic automobile accident in May of 2023.  The drills and competitions gave the boys an opportunity to be on the grounds to watch junior matches and play on the courts used by the pros; they were also scheduled to spend Sunday at Columbia's new tennis center, with additional juniors from the USTA's Eastern section, where Drew played, participating in that event.

When I saw 2024 Boys 14s Nationals finalist Tabb Tuck hitting with Michigan State junior and 2024 NCAA semifinalist Ozan Baris, I knew there must be a story there, and indeed there was. Baris has been serving as a hitting partner throughout the tournament for US Open men's finalist Taylor Fritz.

"I originally was asked to be a hitting partner a couple of months ago, some one from the team reached out to me," said Baris, who hit with Fritz early in the first week, and has continued in that role for the duration of the tournament, allowing him to also help out with the Hassenbein junior event.  "There's other guys--Liam Krall(recent SMU grad) has been hitting with (Jannik) Sinner every day. Mark Krupkin, Andrew Ena (blue chip juniors in the area), they're hitting with whoever needs it."

Baris said he did have one hitting session with Fritz in Ashe, but most of the practices have been on the courts behind the 4, 5 and 6 bank of match courts.

"Honestly, I came and I knew I would hit with some good players," said Baris, who is taking all his fall semester classes at MSU online. "But I came in with no expectations, just try to have a good time. I'm in New York and not playing a tournament, which is probably the only time that will happen for the rest of my tennis-playing life. I get to enjoy it, get to watch some tennis, it's fun."

Baris wasn't sure how long he would be in New York initially, but with Fritz continuing to advance, he now isn't scheduled to go home until Monday.  "The earliest I would have left is probably today, but now I'm staying. My body's hurting. I'll put it this way, I'm here for Fritz, I'm not here for myself anymore. I don't think I ever really was, but now I'm really not. I'm just here to get him the title."

Baris couldn't quite give Fritz that final boost, with the first American man to reach a major championship in singles since 2009 falling to top seed Sinner 6-3, 6-4, 7-5.

Now Baris will turn his attention back to his own game, with preparations for the first NCAA individual championship in November less than three months away.

"I'll play Battle in the Bay next week, hopefully (ITA) All-Americans and NCAAs," said Baris, ranked No. 1 in the ITA preseason rankings. "I will play whatever I need to to get into NCAAs."

0 comments: