Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Friday, June 24, 2005

ITF Tennis -Wimbledon Junior Preview

ITF Tennis - Wimbledon Junior Preview--
I would love to do my own Wimbledon Junior preview, but since there are no draws posted on either Wimbledon.org or the ITF site, I'm at a decided disadvantage to Mr. Fletcher, the author of this one, who at least is privy to the seeding.

I gather that Murray has been given the number one seed, as he was at the French Juniors, but he may not play. He certainly won't if he beats Nalbandian tomorrow, and the way Murray's been playing, I'm not dismissing his chances. He will be the clear favorite to win the juniors if he loses to Nalbandian and can find enough time between media sessions to play tennis.

But Croatian Marin Cilic, who beat Murray in the semis in Paris, just won the Grade 1 Roehampton junior event, and has the classic "ic" size and game. (I think. I've not seen him play since Sam Querrey beat him 7-6 in the third at last year's US Jr. Open). It would be no surprise to me if he took the Wimbledon junior title.

As for the world's top ranked junior, Donald Young, his game does not seem particularly suited to grass, despite the comparisons to John McEnroe that have been bandied about. Once he develops his serve, that surely will change, but for now just getting several matches on grass to begin to understand the nuances of the surface would be a realistic goal.

Other boys contenders include Sergei Bubka, Robin Haase, Petar Jelenic, Sam Querrey, Ryan Sweeting and Phillip Bester.

On the girls side, Azarenka, Kirkland and Wozniacki will bear watching, but as Kirkland is the only one that I've seen play, I hesitate to make any serious pronouncements on their chances.

I am assured that the draw has taken place, but still no publication of it anywhere. I will post a link to it when it's available.




0 comments: