In a moment of inspiration last weekend, I came up with the idea to post a short, multiple-choice, true/false quiz on college tennis. Because I'm going to be traveling until quite late tonight, today seems like a good time to post it. Although some of the questions are easy if you follow college tennis (and read zootennis.com), some of them are extremely difficult. I would consider 50 percent a good score. The answers can be found here.
1. Who are the defending NCAA women’s team champions?
D. North Carolina
2. Who are the defending NCAA men’s team champions?
3. True or False:
Division I college tennis has four major individual championships
4. Who is the ITA’s preseason No. 1 in men’s singles?
A. Blaz Rola, Ohio State
B. Alex Domijan, Virginia
C. Mikelis Libietis, Tennessee
D. Marcos Giron, UCLA
5. Who is the ITA’s preseason No. 1 in women’s singles?
A. Robin Anderson, UCLA
B. Beatrice Capra, Duke
C. Nicole Gibbs, Stanford
D. Sabrina Santamaria, Southern California
6. True or False:
In NCAA men’s Division I tennis, a serve that hits the net and is not a fault is in play
7. Which active coach has won most NCAA team titles?
A. Manny Diaz, Georgia
B. Peter Smith, USC
C. Lele Forood, Stanford
D. Roland Thornqvist, Florida
8. How many of players in the current ATP doubles Top 35 competed in Division I college tennis in US?
9. Which university has the most former players in the ATP doubles Top 40?
D. Ole Miss
10. True or False:
Mike and Bob Bryan never won an NCAA doubles title at Stanford
11. What college swept the men’s and women’s DIII team titles in 2013?
12: The governing body of college tennis in the United States is:
13. True or False:
Virginia’s Somdev Devvarman reached three consecutive NCAA singles finals
14. How many NCAA titles did John Isner win while at the University of Georgia?
15. Which former NCAA Division I singles champion is NOT currently coaching D-I women’s tennis right now?
A. Audra Cohen
B. Laura Granville
C. Patty Fendick
D. Beth Herr
16. True or False:
If a junior player accepts prize money, he/she is not eligible to play NCAA Division I tennis
17. How many times can a player be overruled by an official on a line call before being penalized a point?
18. Which of the following junior slam doubles champions is NOT currently playing college tennis?
A. Andrew Harris
B. Roberto Quiroz
C. Julian Lenz
D. Carol Zhao
E. Francis Alcantara
F. Grace Min
19. True or False:
USC’s Daniel Nguyen and Steve Johnson are the only two men in NCAA history to win four straight team titles
20. Division III differs from Division I in that D-III:
A. plays no-ad
B. plays a match-tiebreaker if singles split sets
C. plays doubles last
D. plays best of 9 points in dual match