Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Friday, August 19, 2011

Kalamazoo Recap, Slideshow and Videos

I spent the day at the Cincinnati Masters event, watching two men's doubles, one women's doubles and Mardy Fish beat Rafael Nadal. I probably don't watch enough top-level professional tennis live, so my first trip to this pro tournament was a good opportunity to study the differences between that level and the junior and college tennis I usually watch on a regular basis. I interviewed NCAA champion Steve Johnson after he and Alex Bogomolov lost in the quarterfinals of doubles today, and I intend to write more about that match and Johnson's plans in tomorrow's post.

My recap of the Kalamazoo Nationals, posted today, concludes the Tennis Recruiting Network's coverage of Championship Week. Below is the slideshow and videos of champions Jack Sock and Ronnie Schneider. The videos of finalists Mitchell Frank and Luca Corinteli are available by clicking on their names to be taken to the tenniskalamazoo YouTube channel.






7 comments:

Austin said...

Can someone explain to me what Chrisitan Harrison has done to warrant a wildcard into a tour level event? Was this the USTA's doing or the event itself privately offered him the wildcard? I like Americans getting wildcards as much as possible, but prefer ones who are more worthy.

Brent said...

Austin, I totally agree. Really hasn't done much in the Futures qualifying. Also, don't understand why he would have pulled out of Kzoo but then is ready for this. Seems like he is trying to skip a bunch of steps when his main accomplishments to date are practice-court buzz. Having said that, sounds like he has a load of talent and would love to see him do well.

Houston said...

Austin, He would have gotten in on his own ranking. I'm guessing that he was going to miss the sign-in so they gave him a wc.

The Dude said...

Looks like Sock has an extreme grip western forehand...

tennisforlife said...

Houston - you must be thinking about Ryan - Christian is ranked 1700ish - not quite what you need to get into an ATP qualifier event!

Colette Lewis said...

Mitchell Polnet, with a ranking of 1836, got in on his ranking, so I think Christian Harrison would have too, although the draw shows WC next to his name.

tennisforlife said...

I stand corrected...but i do agree with Austin in that it seems unclear why he would play in an ATP qualifier given his limited success at the Futures level. I think he has received 4 or 5 futures WC's so far this year. Seems like he would be better served getting in some match play in the futures qualifiers at this point.