Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Monday, June 9, 2008

Cecil Beats Logar Again for Second Straight Pro Circuit Title

Mallory Cecil won her second consecutive event Sunday, once again defeating Theresa Logar, the 2007 Stanford graduate, in the finals in three sets. This story, from Hilton Head's Island Packet talks about her decision to remain an amateur for now, which means giving up the $1,568 winners share for a paltry $200 reimbursement, which couldn't possibly cover her expenses for a week in Hilton Head. This kind of disparity makes remaining an amateur that much more difficult, and once again I'm reminded of the ITA proposal to allow players to accept $10,000 per year prior to entering college. That didn't get off the table in the spring NCAA meetings, for reasons I'm not privy to, but I think it is worth putting forward again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colette,

On a side note and make of this what you will but Amanda McDowell, speaking after receiving the Honda Sports Award, was quote as saying, "My dream has always been to play professional tennis and right now I feel like I'm playing the best tennis in my life, so I'm really looking forward to the future."

Could that be a hint she's thinking of making the jump to pro tennis sooner, rather than later? Perhaps, if she has some good results with the USTA Summer Collegiate Team and at the US Open (assuming she's granted a wildcard), Bryan Shelton will be looking at another vacant spot on next season's roster.

Colette Lewis said...

Andrew D:
It would surprise me if she didn't come back for her junior year. She seemed quite certain about that after the NCAAs.