Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Sunday, January 7, 2007

USTA Guide to Tennis on College Campuses; Gullikson Scholarships


At the ITA Coaches Convention at the Doral Resort in Miami last month, I spied a newpublication by the USTA entitled USTA Guide to Tennis on College Campuses. Although hard copies won't be available until later this month, the online pdf version is now available. It is a detailed look at both varsity and recreational tennis options at NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA schools, and also provides a short chapter on careers in the tennis industry. It's a great resource in itself, and also supplies many references to other sources of information that are vital to those interested in pursuing college tennis. It opens with a foreword by James Blake:

When I made the decision to go to college, I had already had offers to turn pro, but I knew I wasn’t ready either
mentally or physically for the pro scene. Going to college gave me the opportunity to mature, study, meet great friends, and play tennis for the pure joy of the game. I wouldn’t trade my time in college for anything.

There has been much criticism lobbed at the USTA for ignoring college tennis as a development option, some of it deserved, but recent steps, like this guide, are evidence of a change.


As a member of the Midwest section, I also wanted to mention that applications are now being accepted for the Tim and Tom Gullikson scholarships, administered through the Midwest Youth Tennis and Education Foundation. One boy and one girl from the section will receive $2500 "to advance their educational and tennis interests." Please click here for more information.

0 comments: