Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SMASH Column, Post-Nationals Edition


My SMASH online column went up today.

Last night, I had an opportunity to do an interview with Kevin McClure, who does a weekly tennis podcast with "The Koz" that I've been listening to for several months.

Those of you who would like to listen to the interview and hear a little bit more about my personal background can find it here. It's over 30 minutes long, so consider yourself warned.

And finally, I wanted to make sure you all know that Marcia Frost, of collegeandjuniortennis.com is covering the qualifying at the U.S. Open. She'll be at Flushing Meadows for most of the next three weeks, so take advantage of her insights and reporting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collette,

I was wondering if you have caught this particular article:
http://www.observer.com/20060828/20060828_Jason_Horowitz_pageone_newsstory10.asp

I'm not too confident of the quality of the Observer itself, however, there's more than enough sentiment in the attributed quotes that is particularly disquieting given that they're made by one of the USTA directors.

Colette Lewis said...

I agree that disquieting is the correct word. I know this is heresy these days, but sports isn't entertainment to me. It's sports. I'm not a fan of pro wrestling, which may have a board more suited to this man's talents.

Anonymous said...

Collette,

My main area of concern was the attitude he displayed towards Capriati and her parents - by extension, all junior players and their parents.

“Get her a fake ID, take her to some trance clubs, whatever—I don’t want to know. But get her back in one piece,” Mr. Korff recalled instructing his nephew. When Ms. Capriati’s father called soon after to ensure that Mr. Korff, as tournament director, would keep an eye on his daughter, he remembered thinking, “Oh my God, do you have the wrong guy!”

To have such little regard for the well-being of a child (and her parents)is unconscionable. To know that those sentiments, as expressed in the article, come from a current USTA director is unsettling in the extreme.

I did write, in a past thread, that the question 'What is wrong with American tennis' should be amended to read 'Who is wrong with American tennis'. Reading the Observer's article gives me no reason to change that opinion.