Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Thursday, June 2, 2005

ITF Tennis - Juniors - French Open Quarterfinals

ITF Tennis - Juniors - French Open Quarterfinals

The quote from Andrew Murray in this story is just so typical of him:

"I practiced with him the day before the tournament started, and that was the first time I saw him....I think if I play like I did today, I should win pretty comfortably."

There are very few tennis players of any age as candid and forthright as Murray, and he doesn't seem to mind if he comes off a bit arrogant. It makes him a writer's delight, and he gets amazing coverage in Great Britain, especially when Henman and Rusedski are out of it and the media is there for the duration, looking to fill air and space. That Murray has just dumped his Spanish coach only adds spice to soup du jour the British press is concocting of his young career.

But count me among the impressed after his 4 & 2 win today over del Potro of Argentina. I expected it to be a long and closely contested match, and probably that 54 minute first set was, but Murray apparently took liberties with del Potro's second serve, as the Argentine won only a quarter of those points.

0 comments: