Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Flipping the Script: Tennis.com

Flipping the Script: Tennis.com

You have to page to the bottom of Steve Tignor's story to see it, but it's there--my first item (story would be stretching the point) in Tennis Magazine.

It's fitting that it's attached to Steve's story; the managing editor of Tennis Magazine is the reason I got to write it. I met him at the Orange Bowl in Key Biscayne last December, and unlike a number of tennis writers I've met, he follows and likes the junior game. He was interested in my comments and perspective (always flattering) and in addition, he was very easy to talk to as we watched a couple of matches together. At the time, I was still hawking my Oudsema college vs. pro opus , and he not only read it but passed it along for me. Although nothing came of that particular foray, he urged me to pitch this Murray story, and I got the assignment.

Steve's blogging for Tennisworld at Wimbledon right now (read it--it's great stuff), so it's doubtful he'll ever see this post, but it's a public, and overdue, thank you to him for his encouragement.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the first 'Tennis' entry. Richly deserved, albeit too brief, for all the hard work you've put into your blog.
Good luck with future, longer assignments
Andrew