Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Woestendick and Jovic Take 14s Adidas Easter Bowl Titles, Lam and Bielen Win 12s Championships, as 16s Division Begins and ITF Grade B1 Continues; Korda Reaches Miami Open Quarterfinals


©Colette Lewis 2021--
San Diego CA


Tuesday was a day of firsts at the USTA Level 1 Adidas Easter Bowl at the Barnes Tennis Center, with three of the four singles champions in the 12s and 14s divisions claiming their initial coveted gold ball.

Unseeded Iva Jovic of Torrance won the battle of Southern California in the girls 14s final, beating Elena Zhao of San Diego 6-0, 6-2 to earn her first USTA National Level 1 title.

"I thought it was kind of cool that it was a SoCal final," said the 13-year-old Jovic, who had lost to Zhao in a third set tiebreaker in their only previous meeting. "It's weird, we kind of kept dodging in the draws."

In the rematch, Jovic was pleased with her aggressive play.

"I think I did a good job stepping into the court, not letting her push me back, and being aggressive," Jovic said. 

Jovic said she was a good player in the 12s, but has made steady progress recently.

"I was practicing the right things," said Jovic, who works with Peter Smith and Rylan Rizza at the Jack Kramer Club in Los Angeles. "And then when they started working, and going in more, then it was easier for me to win."

Jovic was just fine with her unseeded status coming into the tournament. 

"I think it was not that bad for me," said Jovic, who had not won any USTA balls before today. "I kind of like being the underdog and not expecting to win. But I didn't really look at the draw that much either, so yeah, it was good. I was focused on every match."

Top seed Cooper Woestendick had won gold balls previously, but in doubles competition, not singles. A finalist at the Easter Bowl in the 12s division two years ago, Woestendick thought his experience may have helped in his 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 victory over unseeded Jimin Jung.

"It helped me a little bit at first," said Woestendick, who won the Level 1 championship in Mobile earlier this month. "Having experience in bigger matches definitely helped me, definitely in my last tournament too, it helps me and it paid off."

Woestendick pulled away in the first set, but Jung, who had come back from a set down in two of his earlier matches wasn't about to concede, and he quickly rebounded in the second set.

"I knew he was going to be very tough," said Woestendick, who trains at Genesis Health Club in Kansas City.  "He's an interesting and crafty player....he played very well in the second set, kind of caught me off guard."

Woestendick got an early break, going up 3-0 and 4-1, but although he was glad to have a lead, he knew that match was not over. He took solace in his game plan, which helped him hold his nerve serving for the match at 5-3, 0-30.

"I like my backhand a lot, so I try to go backhand to backhand as much as I can, until I get a forehand short ball," Woestendick said. "If I see him slicing I'll take it out of the air, but he's very fast, so that's hard to do, so basically just pin him in one corner and attack."




The last three points of the match were confusing for everyone in the vicinity of Court 12, including the chair umpire and the players. With Woestendick serving at 30-40, he hit a serve that Jung had a play on, but called out. The chair overruled Jung, and because it was his third overrule of a line call, he received a point penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. That made it advantage Woestendick, although the chair called game, set, match before he was challenged by Jung. After the chair had corrected the score, play resumed, and Woestendick won a long rally to claim the championship.

Woestendick is not certain what his next tournament will be.

"Definitely going back to Kansas, keep working, keep practicing, keep working hard," said Woestendick, who would like to model his game after Jannik Sinner, the up and coming Italian star. "There's definitely some stuff I can work on."

The boys 14s finals was the only lengthy match of the four championship matches, with both the 12s finals, played at the same time as the 14s finals, going quickly.

The Eastern section came out on top in both, with No. 4 seed Shannon Lam and No. 4 seed Sebastian Bielen earning their first gold balls.

Lam defeated Thea Frodin, a No. 9 seed, 6-3, 6-0, getting all her nerves out of the way in the early stages of the match.

"In the beginning, it was kind of shaky because I was like tight, it was the finals," said the 12-year-old from New Jersey. "But I settled into the match, and played better by the end."

Lam said that she had heard a lot about the Easter Bowl, so playing it for the first time as a top seed was an adjustment.

"I definitely felt pressure in the very first match," said Lam, who trains at the Little Silver Tennis Club. "But it started to fade away as I got more into the tournament."

Lam also admitted that she probably benefited from playing not on the big Stadium Court, but on a court far removed from the main entrance.

"I don't prefer being on the big court, actually, because I'm still kind of new," Lam said. "So being on one of the back courts, it kind of relaxed me."

As for a celebration, Lam is extending her spring break from school in San Diego.

"I'm going to vacation, the beach, Sea World if it's open," Lam said. 

Beilen, who, like Lam, was playing in just his second USTA National Level 1 tournament, was pleased with his level in his 6-0, 6-2 win over No. 9 seed Kimi Basamakov of Thousand Oaks California.

"I think I played really well," said the 12-year-old from Long Island New York, who dreams not of winning the US Open, but has his sights set on the Wimbledon trophy. "I was executing my shots, I was consistent, I had very good energy and a good attitude."

Beilen, who trains at Robbie Wagner Tennis, didn't drop a set in his run to the final, and he was especially proud of his 6-4, 6-4 victory over No. 7 seed Jack Kennedy, an Eastern rival, in the semifinals.
 
"I think I was playing good tennis from the beginning," said Beilen, who noted that his mother is his tennis coach and his father his fitness coach. "I knew the semifinal would probably be the most important match of the whole tournament, so I set my mind for that semifinal. I visualized, I trained for that moment and I pushed through it. We've known each other for a really long time and we've played each other a lot of times, we play doubles a lot together."

The doubles champions in the 14s and 16s were decided Tuesday afternoon.  The winners are pictured below, with the results in the captions.
 
Maxwell Exsted and Maximus Dussault d. Ian Bracks and Cooper Woestendick[7] 6-1, 7-6(5)


Amber Yin and Katie Rolls[1] d. Olivia Benton and Christasha McNeil 6-0, 6-3

Trenton Kanchanakomtorn and Jack Kennedy d. Colin McPeek and Navneet Raghuram[1] 6-4, 6-2



Abigail Gordon and Marcella Roversi[2] d. Isabelle DeLuccia and Kayla Moore[1] 7-6(5), 6-7(1), 10-8
 
Competition in the 16s division kicked off today, with top seeds Emon van Loben Sels and Natalie Block advancing in straight sets.

The first round of the ITF Grade B1 singles and doubles concluded today, with the seeds taking the court for the first time Wednesday.

Girls No. 1 seed Madison Sieg will face wild card Gracie Epps in the second round, while boys No. 1 seed Juncheng Shang will take on Cooper Williams.


At the Miami Open today, John Isner, Taylor Fritz and Frances Tiafoe lost their round of 16 matches, but Sebasatian Korda earned his first ATP Top 10 win, beating Diego Schwartzman of Argentina 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.  For more on Korda's first ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinal appearance, see this article from the ATP website.

0 comments: