Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mountford Takes LTA Position

I guess it was announced last week that Bill Mountford is leaving the position of Director of Tennis at the National Tennis Center in New York to become head of Coach Relations and Competition for the British Lawn Tennis Association.

I haven't had too much contact with Mountford; I met him in New York at the Open last year, and he instantly won me over by saying he read zootennis and hoped to make news on it some day. This isn't exactly what I'd envisioned, and I doubt if he could foresee this either. He has recently taken new jobs as a husband and father, so this is quite a few changes for him in the past couple of years, but I assume the offer was just too good to pass up.

The Times' Neil Harman doesn't seem too impressed from the tone of this story, but I sense there's a resentment building of all the Americans being hired for British tennis jobs. I guess it's not the exclusive club it used to be, although with their track record I would think any and all new blood would be welcomed.

The first thing that sprang to my mind when I heard this is whether Mountford was considered for either Eliot Teltscher's former position as Director of High Performance or Bill Ozaki's as Director of Junior and Collegiate Competition. To my knowledge neither of those jobs have been filled and I assume Mountford would have been a candidate.

0 comments: