Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Classic Courier:: TBO.com

Classic Courier - from TBO.com--

The tennis world is taking a breather after the marathon six weeks that encompass both the French and Wimbledon, but I did find this interesting story about the Courier younger years. He is being inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend, and begins his stint with World Team Tennis next weekend, so it's an appropriate time to pause and look back at how it all began. One of my favorite Courier quotes is from the Mark Keil/Geoff Grant documentary "The Journeymen." Though obviously looking at it from a different perspective than the title characters, Courier has the good sense to recognize what tennis greatness gave him.....
"a backstage pass to the world"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Jim when he was a junior and I was watching him play at the US Open. His face was so red I thought he would die on the court but I never forgot how he was fighting for every point. I still wish they used him more as a commentator because he was dead on with his analysis and always had a few gems about the players I never heard from anyone else.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that no one hired Jim as a commentator for the French or Wimbledon. I don't know anything about his asking price, but I'd take him hands down over Brad Gilbert any day.