Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Monday, August 24, 2026

Singh and Genereux Survive Brutal Qualifying Days, Advance to Second Round at WT J300 College Park; Lee and Pareja Win Opening US Open Qualifying Matches, Seven More US Teens Play First Round Matches Tuesday

©Colette Lewis 2026--
College Park MD--


The seeds begins play Tuesday at the World Tennis J300 at the Junior Tennis Champions Center, and several of them will take on opponents who have already proven their toughness and competitive spirit over the last three days. 

No. 2 seed Yannik Alvarez of Puerto Rico will find himself facing Kahven Singh, who was cramping himself when his opponent retired with cramps in his second match of qualifying Sunday, and today came back from 6-0, 4-1, 40-0 down to defeat Kunanan Pantaratorn of Thailand 0-6, 7-5, 6-1.

Singh had beaten No. 4 seed Tyler Lee in the first round of qualifying Saturday 2-6, 6-1, 10-6 and J100 Chestertown champion Sebastian Godoy 3-6, 6-2, 10-3 in his first qualifying match Sunday morning. Against Eliot Awomoyi, Singh managed to win the first set 6-4, but the match became a battle of attrition shortly thereafter, with Awomoyi retiring with Singh up 4-3 in the second set.

"It was definitely tough physically," said the 16-year-old from Bethesda Maryland, who reached the Kalamazoo 16s doubles final a week ago Saturday. "I started cramping at the end of the first set, but then he cramped and I got through it."

Singh said he used every tool at his disposal to try to recover for today's match.

"I took an ice bath, compression boots, ate a lot and hydrated a lot and I definitely needed that," Singh said, who did not get on court for today's first round match until after 5 p.m. "A lot of waiting today for my court, which helped me a little bit, but was tiring mentally, I would say."

Singh didn't assign any blame for the first set score on his fatigue or his wait. 

"The guy really hot, he was playing really, really well, but me and my coaches (Mateo Cevallos and Vince Pulupa of OSSA) were just like, keep fighting, try to find a way, maybe he'll drop his level a little bit and I could play a little better," Singh said. "That ended up happening, I found some great chances and executed them pretty well. I pulled away in the third set, definitely long, long games, but I got through it."

Singh said he was "flowing a little bit" by the third set and didn't feel it as much physically as he might have.

"I was just playing really well, stepping in and making him play everything, one extra ball, and that really helped me," Singh said. "I thought that I fought pretty well today."

Antoine Genereux of Canada had an even more difficult weekend than Singh, as he lost in the final of the J100 in Chestertown Saturday morning and had to play his first round of qualifying in College Park that afternoon.

"I played Saturday morning at 8 o'clock at an indoor facility(due to rain)," said the 17-year-old from Quebec City. "After the final I had to drive here and I actually played at 7 o'clock at night. There were no lights on my court, so we had to switch courts and had to wait, come back at 8:20 on one of the courts with lights. It was a hell of a day, finished at like 10 o'clock."

Genereux avoided a match tiebreaker until his second qualifying match Sunday, when he defeated fellow Canadian Samuel Pelletier 6-0, 4-6, 10-7. But four matches in two days took their toll, especially after playing four three-set matches last week in Chestertown.

"I'm so tired," said Genereux, who defeated fellow qualifier Charles Minvielle 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 today in two hours and 40 minutes. "I wake up every day and I'm feeling fine, but when I go on court--I'm usually good in long rallies, keeping a heavy ball and putting pressure on my opponents--but now I'm getting tired quicker than usual so it was harder in my match today."

Genereux said he has been working to improve his transition game, and that proved valuable today against Minvielle.

"I've worked on it a lot and got more comfortable doing it recently," said the rising high school senior, who is talking with college coaches now to determine the right fit for him. "I've worked on it a lot the past few years, but it's never been something I'm comfortable with. But I feel like recently, it's been clicking a little bit more and I try to use it, especially against opponents like him."

Genereux's opponent in Tuesday's second round is No. 11 seed Kirill Filaretov of Russia.

"I actually played him in Bulgaria," said Genereux, who won their second round match at the J300 this spring 2-6, 6-3, 7-6(6). "It was an amazing match, and he's an amazing player so I don't take anything for granted."

Genereux is one of four Canadian boys who advanced to the second round with wins today, with No. 16 seed Benjamin Azar playing his first match tomorrow.

The final match of the day also had to be moved to a lighted court, with wild card Joseph Lee, who earned his wild card via the playoff held each year at the JTCC, defeating Livas Eduardo Carvalho Damazio of Brazil 5-7, 6-3, 7-5 after 8 p.m. Monday night.

Three girls qualifiers reached the second round: Thara Gowda, Brooke Wallman and Clemence Mercier of Canada, with lucky loser Scarlett Fagan also earning a victory in the first round today.

The seeds take the court for the first time Tuesday, beginning with the boys. The first round of girls doubles was played today, with the first round of boys doubles scheduled for Tuesday evening. Seeded doubles teams in both genders will play for the first time Wednesday.

Live scoring is available at iOnCourt, with live streaming on courts 13, 14 and 17, with links here.

Kalamazoo finalist Jordan Lee won his first round US Open men's qualifying match today in New York, defeating ATP 152 Mark Lajal of Estonia, a former College Park J300 champion, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. He will face Daniel Rincon of Spain in Wednesday's second round.

San Diego semifinalist Julieta Pareja defeated No. 9 seed Kayla Day 6-3, 6-1 and will face Iryna Shymanovich of Belarus in the second round Wednesday. Tuesday's first round matches for American teenagers:

Michael Antonius v Henry Searle(GBR)
Jack Secord v Tristan Schoolkate(AUS)
Andy Johnson v Taro Daniel(JPN)
Kristina Penickova v. Elli Mandlik 
Janae Preston v Nao Hibino(JPN)
Jordyn Hazelitt v Harriet Dart[29](GBR)
Annika Penickova v Martyna Kubka(POL)

0 comments: