Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Friday, March 4, 2011

February Aces; SMASH Magazine Now Online; Deadline for International Spring Championships Tuesday; Wilander to Speak at Easter Bowl

It's an early post today, as I am covering tonight's match between the Notre Dame and Texas A & M men in South Bend for Tennis Recruiting Network. My account of the match will appear on Monday.

In the meantime, check out my February Aces, the regular feature I compile each month to highlight some of the notable accomplishments of both juniors and current and former college players.

Although I no longer write for SMASH Magazine, I was delighted to hear that they've made it available online. It was always frustrating for me to contribute articles that I could not link to on this site. They have an archive of some of the most recent past issues, and you may be able to find a couple of my stories among those, but most of my writing for them was during the 2005-2008 span. This month's issue has a feature about Jack Sock (who, by the way, lost his quarterfinal match today to Matt Ebden at the Dallas Challenger 6-7(5), 6-3, 6-1) and an interesting piece on an upcoming teen tennis movie this summer.

The International Spring Championships at the USTA Player Development Center in Carson are coming up in April, with the entry deadline early on Tuesday, March 8. Although this is a USTA Level 1 tournament, it is also an ITF event, so the entries are not done the usual TennisLink way. Please visit the tournament site at usta.com for more information on the entry method as it varies between 16s and 18s. I'll be covering the International Spring Championships again this year, my seventh, and will also be at Rancho Las Palmas for the Easter Bowl. The Easter Bowl has announced that seven-time Grand Slam champion Mats Wilander will be the featured speaker at a Tuesday evening event for players, coaches and parents. The Easter Bowl is now also on Twitter, search @easterbowl to follow the tournament.

1 comments:

Texastennismom said...

Collete, Did you see that Judy Murray (aka Andy's mom) tweeted a photo of Shelby Rogers and Monica Puig practicing with Darren Cahill and Steefi Graf at the Adidas boot camp in Las Vegas this week?