Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Saturday, February 5, 2005

The Sunday Mail QLD: Look out, Lleyton! [06feb05]

TomicOrangeBowl


It was just a matter of time before Bernard Tomic began getting this kind of attention. He was the first 12-year-old I ever saw in sanctioned competition (I consider Sampras 13 when he first played Kalamazoo, as his birthday was just days away); I saw Tomic's semifinal and final matches at the Eddie Herr last year and it took me about one set to realize that he was not playing the same game as the other 12-year-olds. And when he lost one game in the final, absolutely dominating a fine player from Italy, I was certain there was no one in his age group who could challenge him. Had I lived in London, I would have run straight to a betting shop and put a substantial wager on him for the upcoming Jr. Orange Bowl--I would, in fact, have bet my house that he'd win it.



I sat next to Robert Seguso for a few games at the Jr. Orange Bowl, played at Miami's Tropical Park. His son Ridley had the misfortune to draw Tomic in the first round, after having lost to him in the second round at the Eddie Herr 6-2, 6-0. Though Ridley played very well the first few games, the result was never really in doubt, and Tomic won 6-2, 6-1. When Robert told me, matter-of-factly, 'this kid is going to win the tournament', he wasn't making a prediction, he was simply confirming what we both knew.
Tomic never lost more than 4 games in any set during the tournament. The 6-3, 6-3 second round win over Shaun Bernstein sent me to Bernstein's consolation match, just to see the skills of a player who could win six games from Tomic. (Bernstein is a very promising player from New York.)


It is not just Tomic's considerable skills and shot selection that impress; it is his self-possession, his confidence, his almost eerie composure that suggests he is beyond special. Of course, he never really faces a big point, so perhaps poise comes more easily in that scenario. I have noticed that he's playing 14-and-under and 16-and-under tournaments in Australia now. He obviously has no more reason to play 12-and-under events, and needs the challenge of older competitors. But I appreciate that he played and won in his own age division, assuming the pressure of being the indisputable top player there, before moving up to post pubescent competition. I would love to see him play the U.S. 12-year-old phenom Ryan Harrison, who is just a few months older than Tomic, but Harrison has been playing in older age divisions and competed in the 14s at the Jr. Orange Bowl. I'm already looking forward to next December, when that match is likely to be played during the Jr. Orange Bowl 14s.

0 comments: